1. The Public Limited Liability Companies Act of 13 June 1997 No.
45, § 6-11a. For a discussion of legislative measures enacted by EU
Member States addressing gender imbalance in corporate boardrooms
see, “Women in Economic Decision-Making in the EU: Progress
Report 2012,” http://ec.europa.eu/justice/gender-equality/files/
2. “Gender Balance on Corporate Boards: Europe is Cracking the
Glass Ceiling,” October 2015, European Commission, http://
3. In 2012, women represented only 16% of boards within the largest
German companies. Source: European Commission, Database on women
and men in decision-making, as displayed in Women in Economic
Decision-Making the EU, ibid.
4. Dr. Dirk Schwenn. (August 7, 2015). “A Look at Diversity Beyond the
United States: Germany,” Wong-Fleming [Press release].
5. Gender Balance on Corporate Boards: Europe is Cracking the Glass
Ceiling, ibid. This growth is documented in the WoB Index published
by FidAR and found at www.fidar.de/webmedia/documents/wob-
6. Canadian Board Diversity Council, “2016 Annual Report Card,” www.
7. McKinsey & Co., “Women Matter: A Latin American Perspective,” http://
www.femtech.at/sites/default/files/ Women%20Matter%20Latin% 20
8. For an excellent discussion of gender diversity on Canadian boards,
see Davies Governance Insights 2016, 2016 Davies Ward Phillips &
Vineberg LLP, www.dwpv.com/en/Resources/Publications/2016/
9. 30% Club Canada, “Creating Stronger Business and a Stronger
Canada Through Better Gender Balance,” https://wcm.ca/
10. Mary Jo White, “Board Diversity Is the Right Thing to Do.” American
Banker, Sept. 25, 2016, www.americanbanker.com/opinion-board-diversity-is-the-right-thing-to-do-sec-chair-mary-jo-white
11. Olga Mack and Carly O’Halloran Alameda, “The Power of Being in the
Room: 4 Ways Attorneys Can Help Increase Boardroom Diversity.”
ACC Docket, October 24, 2016, www.accdocket.com/articles/4-ways-
LILLIAN MOYANO YOB (
firstname.lastname@example.org) is an
attorney and freelance writer specializing in law department
management, best practices and trends. She writes regularly about
law department value, and leverages a civil rights background to
highlight diversity and inclusion trends within the legal profession.
Fluent in Spanish and conversant in Italian, Yob regularly
profiles legal departments and lawyers throughout Europe and
Honoring those who demonstrate
Diversity and Inclusion in the
As a company that incorporates the values of
Diversity and Inclusion across its own culture,
Nationwide’s legal department is proud to
recognize three distinguished firms for their
leadership, service and contributions to
diversity and inclusion in the legal community.
Congratulations to Nationwide’s
2106 Legal Excellence Award recipients:
Nationwide and the Nationwide N and Eagle are service marks of Nationwide
Mutual Insurance Company. ©2017 Nationwide CPO-0945AO (01/17)
LITTLER MENDELSON P.C.
Inclusion and Diversity Champion
MORGAN LEWIS & BOCKIUS LLP
Inclusion and Diversity Leader
BRICKER & ECKLER LLP
Inclusion & Diversity Regional Champion